Jesus is the Reason for the Season – All Year!
The liturgical years isn’t just about colors and rituals. The seasons are more than wreaths and fish fry Fridays (but these are fun reminders!). They celebrate the life of Christ. They always, always, always focus on Christ. He is the reason for EVERY season!
- Crayons (white, green, purple, red, pink)
- activity sheet
- Seasons of the Church Year worksheet
- Activity Plan
- By understanding the seasons of the Church Year (Liturgical Year) we can more easily relate to the message we hear from the Readings at Mass and celebrate the life of Christ throughout the year. Say this prayer before you begin.
Sometimes it’s easy to focus on the fun parts of our Church Seasons, but help us, dear God, to also focus on the love you have for us in the presence of your son, Jesus Christ. Help us keep Jesus in our thoughts all year long!
2. The beauty of the colors and rituals of our liturgical year is that it reminds us of Jesus’ life, death, and resurrection. Distribute the Liturgical Year for Young Children activity sheet and ask children to trace the letters in that season’s color and read together the brief explanation of what part of Jesus’ life is the focus of that season. Reminder: Advent (Purple and Pink), Christmas (White), Ordinary Time (Green), Lent (Purple), Triduum -Three Days (Red), Easter (White)
3. Now think of special celebrations and traditions you do as a family during each of the seasons and how you might decorate your house to remind you of that season and write down your thoughts and ideas on your activity sheet.
4. Distribute the Seasons Of Church Year worksheet. Reinforce the colors of the Church Year Seasons by having the children color the part of the pie chart that pertains to each season starting with Advent (purple) in the upper right section of the pie chart and continue around the circle.
4. Next time you go to Mass, pay special attention to the Readings, the colors of the priest’s vestments, the decorations and how these remind us of Jesus. Take your children to a Children’s Liturgy of the Word Mass on Sundays at 9am Mass (Sept.-May) so they can hear God’s Word spoken at their level.
- Closing Prayer
Dear God, we are so grateful for the presence of Jesus in our lives. Amen