Sacred Scripture – Young Family Lesson 2018-2019
Lesson Focus – We hear God’s Word spoken to us from the Bible at Mass! Discover where in the Bible the readings from Mass are located.
Before you begin – INSTRUCTIONS FOR PARENTS
- To complete this lesson, you will need to refer to pages in the Catholic Children’s Bible (CCB) and the Celebrating Eucharist Mass Book for Children (CE) as indicated.
- After reviewing the lesson, you may find it necessary to explain the information to your children in language they can better understand. Please contact the FF Office at 716-688-0599 or email email@example.com if you would like assistance in modifying an activity to better suite your family’s needs.
Begin your lesson with prayer:
- Begin with the Sign of the Cross (CCB pg.1992)
- Say this prayer together:
‘Open our ears to hear your word, O Lord!’ Amen
- Read the scripture passage 2 Timothy 3:16-17 (CCB pg. 1886) with your children paying close attention to the bolded words so that they may better understand the importance of reading God’s word and hearing God’s message to us.
- End with the Sign of the Cross
1. When we attend Mass, we hear God’s word spoken to us during the first part of Mass called Liturgy of the Word. To better understand where the readings of Mass come from, have your children open CCB pgs. 14-15.
> Read CCB pg. 14 and highlight certain words and sentences that you would like your children to understand about the Bible. Read these highlighted sections to your children. You may want to review this page with your children at least once each year as a reminder.
> Refer to CCB pg. 15, explain to your children that God’s Word spoken to us during the 1st Reading at Mass (CE pg. 14) is usually taken from one of the books of the Old Testament. Review the titles of the Old Testament books with your child by referring to their Bible and/or listening to the first part of this song.
> Refer to CCB pg. 15, explain to your children that the Responsorial Psalm (CE pg. 15) is taken from the book called Psalms (found on the second shelf of the Old Testament on CCB pg. 15 called Wisdom Books). Have your children place a star on this book in their Bible. The Psalms are normally sung during Mass.
> Refer to CCB pg. 15, explain to your children that God’s Word spoken to us during the Second Reading (CE pg. 15) is usually taken from one of the books of the New Testament (green colored books and one blue book – Acts of the Apostles) on CCB pg. 15. Review the titles of the New Testament by referring to their Bible and/or listening to the rest of this song.
> Refer to CCB pg. 15, explain to your children that God’s Word spoken to us during the Gospel Reading (CE pg. 15) is taken from one of the 4 Gospels of the New Testament (Matthew, Mark, Luke, & John) on CCB pg. 15. Have your children place two stars on these four books in their Bible.
2. Read CCB pg. 1887 Understand It! section to your children.
- Read CCB pg. 1887 Live It! section and do this as a family each time you attend Mass.
- To help your family better understand the readings, review them before attending Mass by going to the USCCB Daily Readings site and click the date on the Mass calendar you would like to preview.
- For each of the readings, find the book on the bookshelf (CCB pg. 15).
- To go deeper, find the Readings in the CCB (NOTE: the translation in the CCB (Good News Translation) is different than the translation heard at Mass (New American Bible Revised Edition Translation).
End your lesson with a Prayer:
- Begin with the Sign of the Cross
- Say the following prayer together:
‘Dear Lord, thank you for giving us Your Word so that we can know how to live as you want us to. Amen.’
- End with the Sign of the Cross