Lesson Focus – The Rosary tells the story of Jesus’ life in four parts called Mysteries. This lesson will focus on the Luminous Mysteries. These stories of Jesus tell about the things Jesus did that brought light to the world.
Before you begin – INSTRUCTIONS FOR PARENTS
- To complete this lesson, you will need to refer to pages in the Catholic Children’s Bible (CCB) and the Rosary Activity Book (RAB) as indicated.
- After reviewing the lesson, you may find it necessary to explain the information to your children in language they can better understand. Please contact the FF Office at 716-688-0599 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like assistance in modifying an activity to better suit your family’s needs.
Begin your lesson with prayer –
- Begin prayer with the Sign of the Cross (CCB pg. 1992)
- As a family pray –
As we learn and reflect on Jesus’ ministry and teachings, we ask the Holy Spirit to come into our hearts and guide us to become a light for others. Help us to open our eyes to who Jesus really is and who he wants us to be.
- End the prayer with the Sign of the Cross
Parents – before beginning the lesson, review The Rosary & Prayers of the Rosary as follows:
- Parents: If your child is not familiar with the rosary, then please put a rosary in the hands of your child and explore it together using one or all of the following activities.
- Read and discuss CCB pg. 1998
Prayers of the Rosary
Parents: If your child does not know the prayers of the rosary, you can use the following list to teach them. You may also find the activities on pages 2-7 in the RAB to be a help.
- Sign of the Cross — CCB pg. 1992
- Apostles Creed — CCB pg. 1994
- Our Father — CCB pg. 1992
- Hail Mary — CCB pg. 1993
- Glory Be — CCB pg. 1992
- Fatima Prayer — this is not in your Bible: “O my Jesus forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of hell, lead all souls into heaven especially those in most need of your mercy.”
The Five Luminous Mysteries of the Rosary focus on the ministry years of Jesus. During His ministry, Jesus taught His people the lessons they’d need to learn for when He was not here with us.
- Suggestion: Bookmark each Bible passage (see bolded Bible passages below) before you begin the lesson.
- Complete the activity in RAB pg. 14.
1. Luminous Mystery #1 — Baptism of Jesus
- Bible — Read the story ‘Jesus Obeys His Heavenly Father’ with your child; found in the Bible – Matthew 3:13-17 CCB pg.1452 and the ‘Understand It!’ CCB pg. 1453 and/or watch The Baptism of Jesus video.
- Rosary — With the Rosary spread out on the table, find the 1st large bead where this mystery would be announced. We learned that when Jesus was baptized the Spirit of God came down upon Him like a dove. When we were baptized, the Spirit of God also came upon each of us. The Holy Spirit stays inside of us for our whole life. It is like a lighted candle in our hearts that makes us feel warm, safe and happy. When Jesus was Baptized this began a very important time, Jesus’ ministry, his teaching years. Parents, tell your child about the day they were Baptized and became a member of God’s family.
- Activity — complete RAB pg. 15 and/or ‘Live It!’ CCB pg. 1453
2. Luminous Mystery #2 — Wedding at Cana
- Bible — Read the story ‘Jesus Turns Water in Wine’ found in the Bible – John 2:7-10 CCB pgs. 1654 and the ‘Understand It!’ CCB pg. 1655 and/or watch Jesus Turns Water into Wine video
- Rosary — With the Rosary spread out on the table, find the 2nd large bead where this mystery would be announced. Turning the water into wine was the first miracle that Jesus preformed revealing his power to the people, as well as how he brings abundance to our lives. Begin your next meal by saying ‘Grace’ CCB pg. 1993. You can also go around the table adding a way that Jesus fulfills your life through blessings such as food, family, friends, talents, ect…be as specific as possible.
- Activity — complete RAB pg. 16 and/or ‘Live It!’ CCB pg. 1655
3. Luminous Mystery #3 — Proclaiming the Kingdom
- Bible — Read the story ‘The Mission of the Twelve’ found in the Bible – Matthew 10:7-8 CCB pg.1471
- Rosary — With the Rosary spread out on the table, find the 3rd large bead where this mystery would be announced. Jesus gave his disciples a very important task, to go out two by two from village to village, town to town, teaching people to turn away from sin and to turn to God’s love. They did exactly what Jesus instructed them to do and he gave them the power and authority to do it. Sometimes doing what God wants us to do is hard, but remember that Holy Spirit is always with us and gives us power to do what’s right. Stop and pray next time a situation comes up and you need extra strength to make the right decision.
- Activity — complete RAB pg. 17
4. Luminous Mystery #4 — Transfiguration
- Bible —Read the story ‘The Transfiguration’ found in the Bible – Luke 9:28-30, 34-35 CCB pg.1602 and the ‘Understand It!’ CCB pg. 1603 and/or watch The Transfiguration video
- Rosary — With the Rosary spread out on the table, find the 4th large bead where this mystery would be announced. There are two lessons that can help us understand this moment Jesus shared with his disciples Peter, James and John. First, think about a butterfly and talk about how it transforms and changes from a wormy little caterpillar to a beautiful butterfly. That is like a transfiguration of sorts. And it’s what God does in our lives when we let Him into our hearts. Second, is how disciples had to listen carefully to what Jesus told them about who He was, think about listening to a pin drop to the floor, you can only hear it if you are listening very closely. Plant a seed in a cup and watch it grow. Talk about how the plant changes as it grows and how to you change as you grow.
- Activity — complete RAB pg. 18 and/or ‘Live It!’ CCB pg.1603
5. Luminous Mystery #5 — Institution of the Eucharist
- Bible — Read the story ‘The Last Supper’ found in the Bible – Mark 14:22-24 CCB pgs. 1560 and the ‘Understand It!’ CCB pg. 1561 and/or watch the The Last Supper video
- Rosary — With the Rosary spread out on the table, find the 5th large bead where this mystery would be announced. What Jesus began at the Last Supper, we continue to celebrate at Mass which is that the bread and wine become the Body and Blood of Christ. Parents, point out to your child that when the priest raises the host it becomes the Body of Christ and when he raises the chalice, it becomes the Blood of the Christ.
- Activity — RAB pg. 19 and/or ‘Live It!’ CCB pg. 1561
- The Luminous Mysteries remind us to follow Jesus, the light of the world. Parents, discuss with your children a special person you know that brings light to your life, someone who inspires you to be a good person. Ask if they can think of someone who brightens their day.
- Parents, consider praying a decade (10 beads) of the rosary with your children to remind us of the things Jesus did that brought light to the world. Note: For younger children, consider praying 3 Hail Mary’s instead of a whole decade.
- Parents, these words/phrase remind us of the Luminous Mysteries: Openness to the Holy Spirit, To Jesus through Mary, Repentance and Trust in God, Desire for Holiness, Adoration. Choose one and discuss how it relates to your family’s life.
End your lesson with prayer –
- Begin prayer with the Sign of the Cross
- As a family recite this poem – ‘Hold my hand, God, lead the way, Help me be good every day. Let me know what’s wrong and right, Keep me safe day and night, Let me know what you have planned, Lead the way God hold my hand.’ Amen
- End prayer with the Sign of the Cross