Lesson Focus – The Rosary tells the story of Jesus’ life in four parts called Mysteries. This lesson will focus on the Glorious Mysteries. These tell us what happened after Jesus died.
Before you begin – INSTRUCTIONS FOR PARENTS
- To complete this lesson, you will need to refer to pages in the Catholic Children’s Bible (CCB) and the Rosary Activity Book (RAB) as indicated.
- After reviewing the lesson, you may find it necessary to explain the information to your children in language they can better understand. Please contact the FF Office at 716-688-0599 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like assistance in modifying an activity to better suit your family’s needs.
Begin your lesson with prayer –
- Begin prayer with the Sign of the Cross (CCB pg. 1992)
Lord, help keep me focused on you and your life. Guide me to make the right choices every day. Amen
- End the prayer with the Sign of the Cross
Parents – before beginning the lesson, review The Rosary & Prayers of the Rosary as follows:
- Parents: If your child is not familiar with the rosary, then please put a rosary in the hands of your child and explore it together using one or all of the following activities.
- Read and discuss CCB pg. 1998
Prayers of the Rosary
Parents: If your child does not know the prayers of the rosary, you can use the following list to teach them. You may also find the activities on pages 2-7 in the RAB to be a help.
- Sign of the Cross — CCB pg. 1992
- Apostles Creed — CCB pg. 1994
- Our Father — CCB pg. 1992
- Hail Mary — CCB pg. 1993
- Glory Be — CCB pg. 1992
- Fatima Prayer — this is not in your Bible: “O my Jesus forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of hell, lead all souls into heaven especially those in most need of your mercy.”
The Glorious Mysteries tell us about Jesus’ resurrection from death and the glorious life that awaits us in heaven. Review each of the 5 Glorious Mysteries below:
- Suggestion: Bookmark each Bible passage (see bolded Bible passages below) before you begin the lesson.
- Complete the activity in RAB pg. 26
1. Glorious Mystery #1 — The Resurrection
- Bible — Read the story of the empty Tomb with your child; found in the Bible – CCB pgs. 1568 Mark 16:1-6 and the ‘Understand It’ CCB pg. 1569 and/or watch the The Resurrection video
- Rosary — With the Rosary spread out on the table, find the 1st large bead where this mystery would be announced. Three days after Jesus died and was buried, he rose form the dead! We celebrate this important date on Easter Sunday! Thinking of Jesus’ new life, take a walk outside and look at all the life in nature all around you. This is a reminder of our risen Lord, say a pray of thanks.
- Activity — RAB page 27 and/or ‘Live It!’ CCB pg. 1569
2. Glorious Mystery #2 — The Ascension
- Bible –Read the story of the Ascension to your child; found in the Bible – CCB pages 1710 Acts 1: 8-11 and the ‘Understand It!’ CCB pg. 1711
- Rosary — With the Rosary spread out on the table, find the 1st large bead where this mystery would be announced. Jesus returned back to his Father in heaven. Jesus wanted us to tell others about His work here on earth. Talk about ways you and your family can live what Jesus taught us.
- Activity —RAB page 28 and/or ‘Live It!‘ CCB Pg. 1711
3. Glorious Mystery #3 —The Descent of the Holy Spirit
- Bible –Read the Story of Pentecost with your child; found in the Bible – CCB pg. 1714 Acts 2:1-6 and the ‘Understand It!’ CCB pg. 1715 and/or watch The Holy Spirit Comes video.
- Rosary –With the Rosary spread out on the table, find the 1st large bead where this mystery would be announced. Jesus sent the Holy Spirit to Mary and the Apostles. This is called Pentecost, the birthday of the Church! Do you ever find yourself in a difficult place where you don’t know what to do or say? Always pray to the Holy Spirit to guide you through difficult times and choices!
- Activity –For younger children – RAB page 29 and or ‘Live It! CCB pg. 1715
4. Glorious Mystery #4 — The Assumption
- Rosary: With the Rosary spread out on the table, find the 1st large bead where this mystery would be announced. The Assumption refers to what happened to Mary after she died. Her body and soul went directly to heaven where she was praised and glorified! You don’t have to wait to for Mothers Day to honor your mother. How can you honor your mother today and everyday?
- Activity: RAB pg. 30 and/or pray a ‘Hail Mary’ CCB pg.1993 for each family member that has died that they are in heaven with Jesus, just like Mary.
5. Glorious Mystery #5 —The Coronation
- Rosary — With the Rosary spread out on the table, find the 1st large bead where this mystery would be announced.Jesus crowns Mary the Queen of Heaven and earth. She becomes our heavenly mother who watches over us with love and care. Parents ask your children: Have you ever worn a crown? How does it make you feel? Why do you think God chose to crown Mary in Heaven?
- Activity — RAB page 31 and/or Click here (may print out or review on line)
- Parents, when you attend Mass on Easter Sunday, go over what the true meaning of Easter is by reading the story ‘The Resurrection’ Matthew 28:1-10 (CCB pg. 1519) as opposed to just focusing on Easter baskets, candy and the Easter Bunny.
- Parents, have your child pick one of the Glorious mysteries you have just learned about. Consider praying a decade (10 beads) of the rosary with your children keeping in mind that mystery. For younger children, consider praying 3 Hail Mary’s instead of a whole decade.
Mark your Calendars! – The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary on August 15th . Make a point of taking your child to Mass on this Holy Day!
Mark your Calendars! – May Crowning Ceremony on May 1st. It is celebrated at the Mary statue behind the Chapel (old church). Bring your kids to this beautiful tradition.
End your lesson with prayer –
- Begin prayer with the Sign of the Cross
- As a family say, the A Prayer to Jesus (CCB page 1995)
“O most merciful Redeemer, Friend, and Brother, May I know you more clearly, Love you more dearly, And follow you more nearly, For ever and ever. Amen”
- End prayer with the Sign of the Cross