Lesson focus– Jesus said a prayer asking God to unite all who believe in Him. We are all disciples of Jesus who, in our daily lives, spread the love of our Lord to others.
- To complete this lesson, you will need to refer to pages in The Catholic Youth Bible (CYB)
- After reviewing the lesson, you may find it necessary to explain the information to your teen in language they can better understand. Please contact the FF Office at 716-688-0599 or email email@example.com if you would like assistance in modifying an activity to better suit your teen’s needs.
Begin your lesson with prayer –
- Begin your prayer with the Sign of the Cross
- As a family, say the following prayer:
Lord Jesus, you call us together in faith and love. Fill all Christians with your Holy Spirit so that we may hear your holy word, pray in your name, seek unity among all Christians, and follow you more closely. Amen.
- End your prayer with the Sign of the Cross
- As a family, open your CYB and read together – John 17:20-26
- Discuss what you have just read. Some discussion questions may include –
> What does it mean to you to be one with God?
> How does that make you feel that Jesus was praying to God for his disciples to be one with God?
> Who in your lives can you see God’s love working through?
> How could you make adjustments in your life to live closer to the way Jesus encourages us to live?
2. On pg. 1428 in the CYB read the Catholic Connection together.
- “As believers in the Trinity, we are called to reflect God’s unity in our relationships by working together to help all people find salvation in God the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.”
> Talk about how you are living out this mission. If not, what are some challenges that get in your way?
- Brainstorm ideas to either begin or enhance how you are a missionary disciple and share the love of the Trinity to those in your community.
You may choose to learn more about the Fruits of the Spirit. These are qualities of how we are called to follow the work of the Holy Spirit.
- Look up Galatians 5:22-26 in your CYB and read the passage together.
- Talk about how each of the Fruits of the Spirit might be lived out in your everyday lives.
> Just for fun, you could make a fruit salad together and eat it while you have your discussion.
- Challenge yourselves to pick 1 or 2 of the ideas you discussed together from the lesson to focus on and put into action over the coming week.
End your lesson with prayer –
- Begin with the Sign of the Cross
- As a family, say the prayer in the CYB pg. 1429
“Dear Jesus, you prayed for your friends, the disciples. Please watch over my friends just as you watch over me. Show them your loving acceptance and support. Help them to honestly look at themselves and the decisions they are making. If they experience pain, frustration, or failure, give them strength to lean on you. Fill their days with laughter and love. Protect them and keep them safe all the days of their lives. Amen”
- End with the Sign of the Cross