Lesson Focus – God wants us to love and show mercy to our neighbors by practicing the Corporal and Spiritual Works of Mercy.
Before you begin – INSTRUCTIONS FOR PARENTS
- To complete this lesson, you will need to refer to pages in the Catholic Children’s Bible (CCB).
- After reviewing the lesson, you may find it necessary to explain the information to your children in language they can better understand. Please contact the FF Office at 716-688-0599 or email email@example.com if you would like assistance in modifying an activity to better suit your family’s needs.
Begin your lesson with prayer –
- Begin prayer with the Sign of the Cross (CCB pg. 1992)
Lord, help me to be a your disciple. Guide me to see and care for my neighbors in need. Amen
- End the prayer with the Sign of the Cross
Corporal and Spiritual Works of Mercy – Parents, review 1-4 with your child(ren).
- Parents read with your children Matthew 25: 34, 37-40 (CCB pg. 1510). Then read and discuss ‘Understand It!’ (CCB pg. 1511)
- Mercy is treating someone with compassion and tenderness the way Jesus treats each of us.
- Corporal Works of Mercy – help people with their physical needs (the needs of their bodies).
- Open the Corporal Works of Mercy video to see the Corporal Works of Mercy acted out.
- Spiritual Works of Mercy – help people with their spiritual and emotional needs
- Open and print the Corporal Works of Mercy Worksheet for practical ways for kids to live out the Corporal Works of Mercy. Help your child check one box in each of the works of mercy and discuss how to act on these.
- Open and print the Spiritual Works of Mercy Worksheet for practical ways for children to live our the Spiritual Works of Mercy. Help your child check one box in each of the works of mercy and discuss how to act on these.
- Create a good deed jar. Whenever your child completes an act of mercy, place a bead in the jar. When the jar becomes full, empty it and start all over again. This is a good way to visualize the virtue of mercy.
End your lesson with prayer –
- Begin prayer with the Sign of the Cross
- As a family, Listen and watch this Reflection Song: Whatsoever You Do You
‘Lord, Help us to be your ears and listen to those in need. Help us to be your hands to clothe, feed and shelter them. Help us to be your feet walking, beside those in need. You came for the least, the lost and the last. Help us to be your disciples.‘ Amen
- End prayer with the Sign of the Cross