Lesson Focus – CONNECTIONS TO JUDAISM
Before you begin – INSTRUCTIONS FOR PARENTS
- To complete this lesson, you will need to refer to pages in the Catholic Children’s Bible (CCB) and/or Celebrating Eucharist Mass Book for Children (CE) as indicated.
- After reviewing the lesson, you may find it necessary to explain the information to your children in language they can better understand. Please contact the FF Office at 716-688-0599 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like assistance in modifying an activity to better suite your family’s needs.
Begin your lesson with prayer –
- Begin the prayer with the Sign of the Cross (CCB pg. 1992)
- Pray as a family The Our Father (Lord’s Prayer) (CCB pg.1992)
- End the prayer with the Sign of the Cross
1. Our Jewish Roots
- In our creeds (CCB 1994 or CE pg. 16) we learn about God and that God is a Holy Trinity, namely, God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. Jesus Christ is God the Son. He became a human being like us to teach us how to fulfill our purpose in life which is to love God first and love others as we love ourselves, and open the gates of heaven for us. Jesus was a Jew who was born about 2000 years ago in Bethlehem. Jesus lived on earth for about 33 years. Today he lives in heaven with God the Father and God the Holy Spirit. Jesus created the Catholic Church for us and made his apostle Peter the first pope (read ‘Understand It!’ CCB pgs. 1488-1489). So the roots of our Catholic Church are Jewish and the Jewish place to worship God is called a Synagogue.
2. Jesus in the Synagogue
Watch this video for a basic knowledge of a Synagogue ==> What to Expect
Read at least one or all of the following Bible stories about Jesus in the Synagogue (Temple).
- Jesus is Presented in the Temple Luke 2:22-24 (CCB pg. 1576)
- Jesus Obeys His Parents Luke 2:46-52 (CCB pgs. 1582-1583)
- Jesus Says He Came to Save Us Luke 4:16-19, 21 (CCB pgs. 1586-1587)
3. Learn About the Jewish Synagogue
- Click on the following link to view and optionally print out a table comparing some parts of a Catholic Church with a Jewish Synagogue ==> Connections — Synagogue and Church
- With the table above in view or in hand, click on the following link to view a short video tour describing what you would see in a Jewish Synagogue with your children ==> Video Tour
- If you need help with any of the answers to the questions in the table, click on the following link ==> Connections — Synagogue and Church — Answers
- PARENTS: Tell your children about the people you know who are Jewish and any experience you may have had attending a service in a Synagogue. Share with your children how much God loves them and all the people He has created.
- CHILDREN: Share with your parents how you feel knowing how much God loves you and all the other people in the world.
End your lesson with prayer –
- Begin prayer with the Sign of the Cross
- Say this prayer as a family Act of Faith (CCB pg. 1996)
- End prayer with the Sign of the Cross