Catholic Principles & Social Teaching – Young Family Lesson 2019-2020
Lesson Focus – God created humans in His image. God asks humans to care for ALL He created – that includes ourselves!
Before you begin – INSTRUCTIONS FOR PARENTS
- To complete this lesson, you will need to refer to pages in the Catholic Children’s Bible (CCB).
- After reviewing the lesson, you may find it necessary to explain the information to your children in language they can better understand. Please contact the FF Office at 716-688-0599 or email email@example.com if you would like assistance in modifying an activity to better suit your family’s needs.
Begin your lesson with prayer –
- Begin prayer with the Sign of the Cross (CCB pg. 1992)
- As a family, open the CCB to pg. 21 and read Genesis 1:26-27 –
‘Then God said, “And now we will make human beings; they will be like us and resemble us. They will have power over the fish, the birds, and all animals, domestic and wild, large and small.” So God created human beings, making them to be like himself. He created them male and female’
Continue the prayer by saying –
‘Dear God, thank you for the birds, the animals, the flowers and the trees – for ALL you created, especially me and my family! Help me to respect and care for your creations each day.’
- End the prayer with the Sign of the Cross
1. Parents, discuss with your child(ren) that God created humans in His image and wants us to take care of our bodies. Complete the following activity to help your child understand this important message.
- Print out (or open on the computer) the Caring for Our Physical Bodies activity sheet and discuss how we care for ourselves in many ways – knowledge; exercise; rest; grooming; nutrition.
- In each section of the body, record ideas on how or when you can accomplish each task. For example: we acquire knowledge by going to school and reading books; when we play outside or go for a walk, we are exercising; when we get a good night’s sleep, we rest; when we brush our teeth everyday (morning and night), we are grooming our bodies; when we eat fruits and vegetables, we receive good nutrition.
- Post this activity on the refrigerator for reference each day. This is a good activity in helping to teach our children good personal care/hygiene habits to follow each day.
2. Parents, discuss with your child(ren) that God asked us to take care of everything He created and completing the following activity to help your child understand this message.
- Assemble the How To Make a Caring for Creation Tree.
- Post this activity on the refrigerator to remind us of ways to care for God’s creation everyday.
- As a family – try to put into practice the personal care/hygiene suggestions each day along with remembering to care for God’s creation.
End your lesson with prayer –
- Begin prayer with the Sign of the Cross
- As a family, open the CCB to pg. 1797 and read together 1 Corinthians 3:16 –
‘Surely you know that you are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit lives in you!’
Continue the prayer by saying –
‘Lord, help me to remember to take care of my beautiful body that you created. Amen’
- End prayer with the Sign of the Cross