Catholic Principles and Relationships -Teen Family Lesson 2018-2019
Lesson Focus – Recognize the powerful example Jesus gave us to love and serve one another.
Before you begin – INSTRUCTIONS FOR PARENTS
- To complete this lesson, you will need to refer to pages in the Catholic Youth Bible orange colored edition (CYB-O) OR Catholic Youth Bible teal colored edition (CYB-T) as indicated.
- After reviewing the lesson, you may find it necessary to explain the information to your children in language they can better understand. Please contact the FF Office at 716-688-0599 or email email@example.com if you would like assistance in modifying an activity to better suite your family’s needs.
Begin your lesson with prayer-
- Begin with the Sign of the Cross
- Say the following prayer together:
Father, Lead me in your ways and fill my heart with your love and joy. Help me to see others as you see them. I ask that you guide every decision, response, effort and conversation I have, all for your great glory. In Jesus name we pray. AMEN!
- End your prayer with the Sign of the Cross
- All life is a gift that is given by God. He trusts us to care for and protect all living things on our Earth. We are especially sacred and precious to God because He created us in His image. Our communities and parish family are filled with people that God loves very much, with our own special gifts and talents special to us. It is those unique qualities that we as Catholics respect about each other. During the celebration of Mass, we share the sign of Christ’s peace with one another. Through this action, we are demonstrating our unconditional love and respect to all those around us looking at everyone as equal in the eyes of the Lord.
- As a family, offer each other a sign of peace and gather together to hear the word of God. Read John 13:3-5, 14-15 (CYB-T pg. 1422 OR CYB-O pg. 1503).
- Read Who is my Neighbor (CYB-T pg.1422) or Live It! (CYB-O pg.1505). What does John’s interpretation on the Last Supper focus on?___________________________________________________.
- To learn more about the practice of washing of feet, you can watch this video.
- Read John 13 :15 (CYB-T pg. 1423 and CYB-O pg. 1504) to complete this scripture question.
When Jesus washed the feet of his disciples, he did this –
“So that _______________________________________________________________________________.”
- What a powerful example Jesus gave to us. Jesus wants us to love and serve one another. Challenge yourself to start each day with a prayer asking for God to help you see ways to live out the example Jesus gave us.
- The next time you are at Mass, look beyond the people who are sitting closest to you and extend the sign of peace to include others. Continue to share the peace of the Lord outside of Mass, in your daily lives. Discuss with your family ways to carry that out.
- Use this Share Life Worksheet to help you to recognize ways in which you can serve others in need.
End your lesson with prayer –
- Begin prayer with the Sign of the Cross
- Say or view the following prayer together as a family:
- Closing prayer in video – Search me, O God
- End prayer with the Sign of the Cross